Friday, February 22, 2008

Internet Use-- another post for my Internet Marketing class

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that this blog was created for an internet marketing class project, and that I would have to put up a few posts regarding a specific topic; internet use.

Well this is the second post regarding internet use, and today’s post is how businesses are using the internet.

A business that I’m sure many viewers are familiar with, Lands End, has added a feature to their website that is to serve as beneficial to its customers. Instant messaging is a popular online past-time with people of various ages, and businesses are trying to incorporate that into their business plans and marketing strategies.

Lands End has a Live Chat option, where customers can chat, LIVE, with a customer service representative in real-time. This means no more waiting on hold for ten minutes to speak with someone about a question you may have regarding a recent purchase or a pending order. Instead, with a click of a button, you are instantly connected to a real person.

Personally, this is more beneficial to both the consumer and the business because the customer feels that they are important and that the company cares about their service. And the business is maintaining their customers, satisfying them with instant gratification by not keeping them on hold forever, which ultimately can lead to loss of sales.

Our world is continuously evolving into this technological society, where everything is done on the internet. Personally, I’d rather chat with a customer service representative online versus the phone, if I know that I’m going to reach a real person right away. It makes me feel that the company cares about its customers and really wants my business.

Have you ever used a live chat option to order or get help with something online? If not, try it; it’s a much better feature than sitting on hold forever. Click here to check it out.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I think the Lands End live chat is a great idea because the checking out process on some sites are just very confusing.
I think our presentation came out very good and yay it's over with!